Friday, December 25, 2009

I'm baaack!

I can't believe it's been a month since I last posted. I am really not doing a great job fitting this in with everything else in my life! And it's sad because I do miss writing regularly. I can feel the effects of it on my psyche. I really need to get my act together when I get back to school. I guess that's what break is for--to rejuvenate and reinvigorate.

So I finished my first semester of med school. It seems so strange that such a landmark has already been reached. I feel like I'm still getting used to holding the reins for such an important chapter in my life. By the time I grow accustomed to it and get the hang of it I think it'll be time to move on to rotations. I guess that's just how life works! It seems so strange to think I've already jumped a hurdle. I don't feel accomplished in the least, I really don't. I don't think I've done exceptionally or even made much of a difference in any grand way. I am learning a lot about things that interest me so that's good..but I don't know if any of it is having a lasting effect. It certainly doesn't seem like it. I guess this break is going to be good for me to reenergize. I think towards the end I was getting jaded by it all. I wasn't as excited by life and I wasn't as touched by things as I used to be. It's good to take a hiatus for a little while and reflect. It's what will allow me to continue with the same energy I had going in on day one.

One thing I've realized is that I really need to stay grounded. I need to keep my eyes on my goal obviously but I also need to keep track of the things that matter to me. I need to know what things are important to me and how to incorporate them into my life. I need to take care of my "mental health". I think I've been pretty good about that overall but there are some things that are slipping through the cracks. I think when I go back in January I need to stay focused on the aspects of life that matter most to me. That's what I did when I started med school and as my focus slipped, I started slipping away. I am really motivated to go back and keep myself in the game...in MY game. I have to remember that I set the rules and it's up to ME to play by them.

In lighter news, I've been watching Dexter. I am ADDICTED to it. I am halfway through the second season right now and it is seriously blowing my mind. It makes me think and actually the last few episodes have been making me kinda depressed. Maybe that's why I'm back on this blog..

Break is going well so far. I watched a lot of Dexter and I have been hanging out with my siblings. It's been nice to just relax and not having anything on my mind. Last night we watched Frost/Nixon. It was SO good! I love movies like that and it's been a while since I've seen a good one! Okay time to play Taboo yay!

1 comment:

  1. I just read some of your reflections and started to suffer from great desire of getting to know you. :-) Please, if you wish, contact me on ICQ number 201822833 or on ado101@azet.sk someday. I would be very glad to exchange some words with you. :-)
    Andrej from Slovakia

    ReplyDelete