Sunday, May 24, 2009

Bittersweet Symphony

Today was a nice day. I slept in and when I woke up, I laid in bed reading The Namesake. This reminds me of when I was younger and I'd wake up early on the weekends and lay in bed reading. After I finally got out of bed, I made some blueberry pancakes, yummy yummy! I also cleaned the apartment and did a pilates workout. I got some studying done and I made stuffed shells for dinner. Pretty good day!

Just now I finished reading The Namesake. I really liked this book. The characters are so deep and so real. I was amazed at how beautifully the story was written. The story itself is good but I guess I overlooked that since I already know it and I mainly concentrated on the character development and the writing style. I really recommend this book to everyone, even after seeing the movie. What's interesting is how an immigrant's struggle in moving to America is documented. I think Lahiri dealt with the topic well (not that I know firsthand what it's like) but I mean, it didn't seem too unrealistic from what my parents have told me. Lahiri smoothly changed the focus of narration from Ashima's thoughts and internal conflicts in the initial stages of her marriage to Gogol's point of view. And again later in the book, from Gogol's perspective to Moushumi's. I think it takes real talent to change the narration that drastically and she definitely mastered it.

I can't believe how brave my parents were in coming to this country. They left everything they knew behind them and came to a foreign land that only held the promise of a better future. Whether that promise would be fulfilled was nothing they were confident about. Yet they took a HUGE risk that changed their lives. I can only imagine their feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment when they look at our home and see what they have built, literally from the ground up. I don't think I will ever face such a huge, trying task. I don't know if I am strong enough or courageous enough but I definitely admire my parents for what they did.


Last night before going to bed I watched Anastasia. I like that movie a lot, not as much as the original Disney princess movies, but still, it's a nice movie! I'm thinking of watching a movie tonight but we'll see how that goes!

This is my last week in Philly. The days are slowly creeping by and I am definitely feeling the bitter lows and sweet highs of it all. I have my moments where I get sad and nostalgic, longing to stay put in a place I have grown very comfortable. But there's a part of me that is getting cramped, knowing that I have outgrown the struggles and challenges Philly posed for me. I guess I need to move on to greater challenges, advance to the next level. I need to start packing up my stuff soon but I guess the moment I start doing that, I will definitely feel like I am moving out. I am hoping to delay that moment for as long as I can manage, maybe another day or two? Ahh this is getting too sad..

No comments:

Post a Comment