Saturday, May 23, 2009

Much Needed Alone Time

Last night was one of the most relaxing nights I can remember. I was alone in my apartment and so I thought I would get lonely or sad or something but surprisingly, I woke up this morning, unscathed! I was doing work last night and catching up on episodes of the Colbert Report. I am embarrassed by how infrequently I watch the show I love the most and I decided to rectify that. I got through almost 3 weeks of episodes and I will continue working backwards whenever I have time! It was such a nice, relaxing evening and I really felt like myself again.


I know that last statement is a little heavy but really, I have been feeling a little off lately. Nothing significant, just in the slightest way. You know when you are constantly in the company of others and you never have the chance to just appreciate some alone time? I think the past month has been so busy and active with other people that I haven't had enough time to just sit down and be by myself. Part of it may be because I don't like to be alone anymore. It's funny because I would've never said that before but I guess since college started I have always been surrounded by people so now I'm used to that. I used to enjoy my own company and now it's like I run from it at every opportunity. It will be nice to go home for the summer and reset my social clock. Especially considering at med school I will have my own room and the only company I will enjoy (?) is that of my books. I just realized that since my last few posts have been catch ups on the previous week or whatever I haven't really shared any thoughts. I am going to try to make some more alone time for myself to post on here and share some of my thoughts.

I have been reading the Namesake and I'm like three quarters of the way through. I am really liking it. The characters are better developed than in the movie (and even the movie was deep!) and I am really enjoying reading it. Lahiri has a way of making every feeling Gogol has completely accessible and I have felt that I can relate to Gogol countless times. The writing is beautiful but beyond that, it is human. And that is what makes it such a well-written book. It's also interesting to be reading a book that I already know the story of. It's not often that I read a book that I have already seen the movie for and I'm finding that it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's like there's a secret thrill in knowing what is going to happen next, before the characters do. I don't know how many more books I will read post-movie, but it's definitely not a bad thing!

Alright well now that I've enjoyed a great morning to myself, I think it's time to start studying. More later =)

No comments:

Post a Comment