Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Nice, Lazy Saturday

There's nothing like sleeping in my bed at home home, waking up to a lazy Saturday. I woke up at 12:30 and just sort of lounged around the house since. I did manage to watch a lecture and I'll probably watch one more before quitting for the day.

I spent half an hour just sitting and talking with my ba today. It was a really special time because it's been a while since I've been home and free to do that. I haven't really gotten the chance in a long time and I really miss her when I'm in Philly. I love to sit around with her and joke around and speculate about random things. I am so glad to have her company in my life. She is the purest, most simple and perfect part of my life. I love her so much.

Last night before going to bed I watched Rachel Getting Married. It's an interesting movie. I think Anne Hathaway did a great job in that role. I think it's remarkable how realistic the family's situation was. I mean, I guess most families won't have a heroine addict as a member but the problems and issues that they confront are prevalent in a lot of family settings I think. I especially like the way Kim's guilt was dealt with. I think she had a huge burden to bear and I don't know how many people would have the strength to cope. My attitude towards Rachel changed as I began to understand the complexity of emotions she felt. At first I was amazed and admittedly a bit disgusted at how careless and removed she seemed from Kim's problem but in the scene after the rehearsal dinner I was able to sympathize with her and understand her perspective better. It's interesting that people generally sympathize with the sufferer of a disease but overlook what the family feels. It's typically assumed that the family should care a lot and should take care of the sufferer. While that is a reasonable expectation, years of coping with a sick or handicapped family member can be draining. While I'd like to think I would be strong enough to support someone in my family, the truth is I really don't know. I guess nobody can know until they are put in that position. And I don't think it makes the family any less of a support system or any less loving and caring if they are unable to support. We are all human after all. I don't know..it just makes me sad to think of a disease that tears a family apart and isolates each member. It's not just the sufferer that is isolated in pain and suffering. The family may feel incapacitated and helpless because they can't do anything about the disease or even do anything to make the sufferer feel better. I dunno..the movie just made me think a lot.

Well that's all for today. Gonna go watch a movie with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment