Thursday, April 23, 2009

Magical Days!

The past two days have been absolutely magical for me. I spent my days in the bookstore, reading Eat Pray Love. I have finished the book and I really loved it! (I even managed to do the Eat part, courtesy of Pizza Rustica). The book is filled with beauty and honesty and inquisitiveness that really strikes me. It's refreshing to see someone write your exact thoughts with clarity and cohesiveness. And even humor--the book had some funny moments that I couldn't help but share with whoever was around. There were a lot of passages that I wished I could memorize and use as tokens of comfort later on. It was just a beautiful, moving account of someone trying to find their way and I think it really touched my heart because I can relate to the author in many ways. I definitely recommend it!

In the spirit of heart touching...I watched The Soloist last night at a screening and man, what a beautiful movie! It reminded me of Reign Over Me (which you can see I thoroughly enjoyed, in a previous post) but it was a more touching version. There was something irresistibly likeable about Robert Downey Jr's character and Jamie Foxx's character was mind-boggling. He really made me work to get past my uncomfortableness regarding homeless people. Underlying the story about true friendship and the beauty inside of someone's heart was the music theme that made the movie seem almost majestic. There were times that I literally closed my eyes to just listen to the music and try to imagine how much that music meant to Jamie Foxx. I thought it was a beautiful depiction of a heartfelt friendship. I haven't read the book but I may have to add it to my to-read bookshelf..

Last night before returning to the apartment, I stopped by the library to pick up a book since I raced through Eat Love Pray. I got Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. I haven't read any of her work (What?!? You didn't read the namesake?! I know, I know..it's on my to-read bookshelf.) so I'm pretty excited about this. I eventually wanna read Interpreter of Maladies and the Namesake but I thought I'd try with the newest since my library at home would probably have those but not this one. I'm gonna start it as soon as I finish posting =)

Today is a beautiful day and I am so excited for it! I'm hopefully gonna get a bike from Drexel Bikeshare--it's been SO long since I've done that and I know it's gonna be awesome biking around with my new helmet (yayy franklin institute!). I'm going to see a play tonight at the Walnut St Theater. It's called Born Yesterday and I think it'll be funny. I love theater and I don't think I've gone more than like two months without going to a play or musical ever since I've been in Philly. It's always a lot of fun and I really respect the art.

Okay my book is staring at me longingly just waiting to be picked up so I'm gonna go indulge myself =)

No comments:

Post a Comment