Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Something's Right...

I don't know what it is but I realize I'm happy. I'm legitimately HAPPY. I mean I have my downs just as everyone does (Into every life a little rain must fall, right?). But I am able to move past them quickly. I come out of my confrontations and battles with fewer emotional scars. The thing that tipped me off about my recent elation/ cavalierness is the fact that I am able to fall asleep within minutes of placing my head down on the pillow. I have always been one of those 'tossing around for half an hour wondering when my stop will come on sleep's rounds'. But lately I have been able to control my mind and sink into the comfort of my drowsiness. I can't really place my finger on it--I guess a lot of things have been going right in my life at pretty much the same time and it all culminates in a good night's sleep..

Yesterday I was talking to several people about a thought that has been boggling my mind. I am apprehensive about how intricately our lives are intertwined with technology these days. I guess we've been transitioning ever since the Tamagachi became the thing to have but it's amazing how far we've come and how quickly we've done it. Gone are the days where kids would pull out a board game or a puzzle to entertain themselves on a rainy day. Cell phones and computers keep kids connected to their school friends and further from quality family time. It's impossible to get through meals without the musical entertainment of vibrating phones. I remember my childhood filled with scrapes and bruises from playing kickball every afternoon with the neighborhood kids and doing random 'gymnastics' in anticipation. I feel like kids these days are missing out on the simple pleasure of throwing a ball around for hours and laying in the grass while looking up at the clouds. Why go outside and look at the sky when you can just set a picture of clouds as your desktop background? I'm just glad I grew up knowing these hidden treasures the world has to offer and when I am a parent I will be sure to share them with my kids =)

I watched Tale of Despereaux (probably spelled wrong) yesterday. As a sucker for those kid movies, I enjoyed it. I did find it a lot darker than the usual movies in its genre but it's still worth watching.


A movie I definitely liked was Hotel for Dogs. It's a Nickelodeon movie with the girl from Unfabulous and the youngest kid on Wizards. It was a nice story and definitely a must-see for dog lovers! It was such a sweet, cute movie that made my heart smile =)

Finally (it really HAS been a while) on to the subject of books! I found this AWESOME website called Goodreads with essentially allows you to connect with other people who share your passion for reading. You can rate the books you've read and leave reviews and also access other people's books. It's pretty cool and definitely something I will use regularly! I'm going to go back to reading for fun regularly--it's such a great release and while I've sort of managed to do it during college, I want to go back to those lazy afternoons spent curled up with a book (cheese curls do have their place though).


Today I started reading a book entitled "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's AMAZING so far. I've read about a third of the book and I'm really enjoying it and even learning in the process. It's about this woman who leaves her husband when she discovers she does not want to play the traditional wife and mother role. She decides to travel for a year, spending four months each in Italy, India, and Indonesia. She is on a journey to find herself and to connect with God. I think it's such an inspiring book and so beautifully written. There are some remarkable insights that she shares that have really made me think. There's this one part where, when she is feeling down and alone, she writes down the things she needs to hear to pick herself up and then reads it to herself. I think that's a strong point--that you have a friend in yourself and even when nobody else is around, you can always depend on yourself. You are your own best friend and you will never let yourself down. It's a beautiful thing. Some of the spiritual questions she has echo my own and I am excited to learn along with her as I get further in the book.

Well that's all for now. I'm gonna go watch a movie and then sleep so I can have another beautiful day tomorrow =)

No comments:

Post a Comment